About Me

My photo
Perth/Darwin, WA/NT, Australia
I love food. Consistently and with devotion. I also love my family, my surfboard and coffee.

03 February 2009

Parap Fine Foods - Saturday morning

NGO chick sent me a text the other day saying that i should blog about the parap fine foods pastry selection - she reckons it's the best selection of gourmet breads and non-brumby/bakers delight type pastry yumminess in Darwin. This is not the first time i've been told this - Hungry told me some years ago now that she used to wait out the front of PFF on Saturday mornings to buy 2 of only 8 chocolate croissants that are available!! Not sure if this is still the case, and having not checked it out myself, i can only tell you what they've said and suggest it might be worth checking out. Not sure where they get their bread/pastriness from either...... it's all a mystery!

http://www.parapfinefoods.com/ i think they're open from 8am, 9 on Sundays.
Parap village, 40 Parap Rd, Parap.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm pastries. I love you.

    My latest Darwin food experiences include...

    Some pretty good curries from Saffron in Parap on the weekend - Lamb Roganjosh and Eggplant something - both yummy and lasted well in the fridge for a couple of days. Oh, and a roti that was almost up to Hanuman standard!

    Saffron on that rainy night had sexy wait staff but an offhand supervisor person who irriatated me and wasn't so kind to staff I didn't think - oh, and there's a wonman working in the kitchen, and that's always a good sign :)

    It also has a highly confusing method of take away ordering. It was an intelligence test, and I failed, so someone else had to support me through the process... it was however a very 'green' ordering system - recycled orders from other diners where on the flip side... I'm not sure if that made me feel dirty or not...

    Anyway, it was reasonable priced as well - all that for $45, and for good sized meals.

    Cornucopia...
    Life is always a gamble there.
    There were three cakes doing the rounds that day. My pal, Food Doctor and I choose the French Apple Flan lovliness (we hoped) thing and the Chocolate Mousse number cos I figured the Chocolate Mud would be far too dry and oh so Sydney in the 90s, that I couldn't bare to eat it... Hungry knew better though..

    The bottom layer of the Chocolate Mousse was so laden with gelatine that I thought I'd been beamed up into dead horse heaven, the rest of it didn't compensate for being uncerimoniously and without consent, dumped in pony world. I love chocolate, and moussey food and I wanted with all my heart to gobble it up, but I couldn't, and neither could my partner in eating, The Food Doctor.

    The apple number was even more heart breaking, this day too, was rainy (like the Saffron experience), I think I may have even been slightly cold! I've just returned from Paris and the mere mention of any thing apple-y and french sent me into a twist! I looked into that condensated cake fridge at Cornucopia and squeezed my eyes shut, praying to the cake Goddess that she would make it all OK at Cornucopia, just once, just for me...

    But alas, the cake Goddess may have been caught at the Travelling Sydney Film Festival in town, or in the storm over Darwin harbour, cos my Apple French tart, weren't a tart, it certainly weren't french and it was only just apple.

    It was ice cold, hard, and it was a cake. And I was sad.

    Hungry's Chocolate Mud Cake (it was so retro it may have even been called a 'Mississipi' Mud Cake!)was almost perfect (by Darwin cake fridge cake standards). It was tall and dark, moist and chocolately with a very generous chunk of chocolate ganache / icing on top!

    Thanks Cornucopia!

    More to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

    i just don't know what to say but i loved that soooo much LOL

    ReplyDelete