About Me

My photo
Perth/Darwin, WA/NT, Australia
I love food. Consistently and with devotion. I also love my family, my surfboard and coffee.

04 September 2009

A town called Alice...ooo oooo oo yeah

A week in Alice saw me eating out a LOT!
Bar Doppios – I’d heard a lot about Bar Doppios, decent coffee, lots of lesbians etc etc so it was a must go to for me. And while I didn’t find lesbians, I did find a cool, hippy, warm place tucked down an alleyway with decent coffee that certainly made my time in Alice more bearable. I got adventurous (never a good idea in a small country town) and ordered a tofu burger on my first visit there which took forever to come out and was pretty ordinary when it did. The latte I had was great though. On another visit I tried a soy latte which was also great (and cheap).
Casa Nostra – I had heard from the sissy who had just returned from Alice and from Director Chick’s ma who lived in Alice for many years, that the Casa Nostra vanilla slice is so popular in Alice that you have to order it in advance! Of course I did – and it was yum. Fresh custardy centre, a thick layer of creaminess, icing sugar sprinkled on the top; yes I can see why people would order it. In a place like Perth or Melbourne there would be a hundred other choices, but here in Alice, it’s kind of like the Manolis of Alice. Later I heard from a co-worker that the ambos in Alice had told her that it’s the leading place for calls about food poisoning! But I thought it was fine. Can’t be too woosy about these things. Oh I also tucked into some takeaway Gamberi pasta w prawns which were surprisingly tasty.
Red Ochre Grill. Well it wasn’t as shit as the Walkabout Hotel in Gove, but pretty unappetising nonetheless!!! Scary cooked breakfast of bain marie eggs, baked beans, tomato….I stuck to the pretty harmless side of things…. Got my coffee from Bar Doppios…. For a place that’s selling itself as a decent hotel restaurant…… well it’s not that good.
Teashrine. OMG I loved it here!!! It was delish. Hot, flaky Roti cannai with vege curry. Delicate and delicious…bought some beautiful teas home to the family – it was packed full of locals and that’s always a good sign.
Thai place in the same alley as Bar Doppios – really nice, fresh, cheap Thai food. Take your book, settle in with some water (living it large I was) and have some sticky rice for dessert :-)
Hanuman – I love Hanuman normally, but the service was for shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment