About Me

My photo
Perth/Darwin, WA/NT, Australia
I love food. Consistently and with devotion. I also love my family, my surfboard and coffee.

16 September 2009

Bull or no bull?

Suffice to say that circumstances led me to the door of the Raging Bull Steakhouse in Parap, in the far end corner of the Parap Village Tavern (15 Parap Rd, Parap), or if you're really motivated you can check it our here: http://www.parapvillagetavern.com.au/categories/Raging-Bull-Steakhouse/

Now I've never eaten at a Steakhouse, let alone one in Darwin, the NT, or a pub, so I had no idea what to expect.... except that I figured it might be grimier, harder and involve more guns. But I had heard (word on the street and all that) that this was a good place to get a steak. Which is not something I get to eat a lot. So I pushed open the doors and found.... a bright, inviting, well lit space with polished concrete and wooden floors, highchairs, families, clean bathrooms, good service, wine, lots of Australian and imported beers and meat - lots and lots of meat. The only thing I found marginally offputting was the faint odour of smoke drifting through from the pub next door, but to be fair it was very very faint - detectable only to a nose-to-the-wind-ex-smoking-nazi (me).

To dinner: well they have a big, well set out menu focussing on meat, but providing seafood, vegetarian and kids choices and there are also daily specials (check that link for massive schnitzel nite, massive steak nite etc etc - salads and greenery of any kind are definitely an afterthought). My dining partner (podner) and I ordered some calamari as an entree and it took ages to come out. It was ok, a generous serve, tender (if a bit floury) but passable. Mains saw me asking for some guidance from the staff and they recommended ribs (ribs! how .. how... meaty!!) with a smoked sauce, mash and salad and my podner ordered steak. Steak steak steak. He was very happy with it, it came exactly as he'd ordered it (rare) with a little rare flag on the top, HUGE, with mash. I didn't love mine, although I felt the romance of being at one with the wild west with my ribs - they fell from the bone, tasted ok, but my tummy definitely paid the price for it all later! Mash was very creamy but untasty and the salad was fresh with a little mustard vinaigrette that I didn't mind. Dessert was pretty uninspiring - choc mousse slice with icecream and cream - it wasn't hideous and if I hadn't thought to put my spoon down I would have absentmindedly eaten the whole thing....all in all I would probably go back in a pinch, I've had much much worse food.

No comments:

Post a Comment