About Me

My photo
Perth/Darwin, WA/NT, Australia
I love food. Consistently and with devotion. I also love my family, my surfboard and coffee.

04 November 2008

pork started it all



It's no news to my friends that i stopped eating pork (apart from my grandmothers) after my mother tenderly packed some crackling (the good stuff - all crunchy pork fat) into my lunch box and I found BIG GREY HAIRS in it *shuddering* yeah this bought me a whole lot closer to pigs in my mind than i wanted to be - so, no more pork. Then i made a deal with my mate Weedy that i wouldnt eat pork for a year because pigs are so badly mistreated in Australia.. and promptly ate pork. I dunno whether it was the pressure of the deal, or it was because pork, once the domain of roasts or limp grey scariness, and nothing in between, has become a freakin STAR in the last few years (the years that i wasn't eating pork). Since then i've been eating pork like it's going out of style.. especially as Darwin, which sports some of the best asian food outside of asia, is heavily pork-centric.

That long rambling prelude was purely to get to this - roast and noodle 328 in Darwin. Hidden down a mall, unprepossessing, but always packed with punters sitting at the plethora of plastic tables and chairs out the front. Everyone said this was the best roast duck in Darwin (i dont do duck) and in the interests of DOING THINGS DIFFERENTLY (and burning myself some new neural pathways) i rocked up to check out the BBQ pork. Served up on a pile of fluffy jasmine rice with steamed bok choy, that pork was the best i've ever eaten. Hot, crunchy, caremalised, the pork was..well words fail me. It had the comfort of my grandmothers pork, looked healthy and tasted fantastic. get down there IMMEDIATELY - if you can find it. I'm not that good at directions.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my f***ing God this is exactly the same reason I do not eat pork - my mum tried to feed me pork with thick coarse pig haris sticking out of the rind YUK!!!! I thought I was alone in this abuse...glad to see I'm not x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question is - who packs crackling in a lunchbox????

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mother dude!!!! we all loved it (until the hair incident as it came to be known)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get some pork on your fork!

    Oh god I am tres hilaire...

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS since when was it called the hair incident??

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey if i say it came to be known as the hair incident (in my mind) then that's what it came to be known as. and yes, that was inappropriate use of a comma LOL.

    ReplyDelete