About Me

My photo
Perth/Darwin, WA/NT, Australia
I love food. Consistently and with devotion. I also love my family, my surfboard and coffee.

11 August 2010

those french boys

I don't really know what the deal is with Scents of Taste, surely one of the worst names in the history of Beaufort and Walcott street cafes/bakeries/patisseries/eateries - how long they've been there, who originally owned or ran it,  but don't let the name put you off.  Scents of Taste is one of those little places tucked away round a corner where you will find loyal locals drinking their coffee and reading their paper outside in the middle of the carpark.  Run by two french boys who can often be found smoking filthily strong cigarettes out the front, they have quietly put SOT on the map with traditional french goodness. You can even get duck confit!  For eg, I have been eyeing off their macarons* for some time now and I just bought one - well crikey, the outside of the macaron* cracked as I bit into it, into a chewy chocolatey yummy centre - I'm experiencing a post-macaron* sugar rush as I type. 

I can't give a definitive review of all their food because I stick in a kind of compulsively OCD-ish fashion to a very limited assortment of things:

1) Their plain croissants:  the best in Perth. Well the best in Mount Lawley.  There are of course the organic butter croissants at the Subi Farmers Market but seeing as that's only open on Saturdays (and in Subiaco).....  these babies are the real deal, buttery, almost cheesy in taste they look slightly overcooked but are always always ALWAYS flaky and scrummy.
2) Their coffee:  always ok.  Not the best in Mount Lawly, but I would certainly come here if Cantina was shut and I was too lazy to get down to Soto (which can be variable - but that's another story). 
3) Their lunch rolls: I don't pay that much attention to these because I usually get my lunch from Antonio's or Elmar's but look to be pretty tasty combinations of things.  I did have mortadella, salad and cheese in a baguette with mayo the other day which was pretty rich.  Would I have another one?  Probably not my first choice, but only because it didn't feel that healthy!!  (A strange place to draw a line considering the other things I eat).
4) Their macarons* - enough said. 
5) Other pastry goodness:  their palmiers, escargot and chocolate croissants which are all thoroughly thoroughly french and not for the faint-hearted.

*macarons are not to confused with macaroons as my discerning sister just informed me - macaroons are dipped in coconut whereas macarONs are what I'm talking about.

Scents of Taste
Shop 3
80 Walcott St
Mount Lawley
Ph:  9272 6708

No comments:

Post a Comment