About Me

My photo
Perth/Darwin, WA/NT, Australia
I love food. Consistently and with devotion. I also love my family, my surfboard and coffee.

02 August 2010

VERY Good Fortune





















People have been asking me when I was going to blog again and I've been pretty evasive, think I lost a bit of my blogging mojo after moving from Darwin... but late this weekend after checking out the Mundaring Truffle Festival and then chilling out watching The Runaways, I rounded off a perfect eating day at Good Fortune Roast Duck House.  Good Fortune - well anyone who went to Hung Long to eat all those years ago is familiar with the site of Good Fortune.  A tiny shop front shining red and gold in the heart of Northbridge on William St (344 to be exact), Good Fortune exudes the happiness of people eating EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT. You can tell you're getting near if you see people queuing outside on William St day or night... some of them peering in the window watching the chef hacking up roast pork, duck or chicken with his cleaver, some waiting impatiently and checking and rechecking to see if their number has come up. We were lucky 100 and had to wait 20 minutes to get in and it was worth every second!!! 

The first thing you'll notice is that Good Fortune is PACKED.  Packed full of happy eating people.  The second thing you will notice is, hopefully not the dying fish in the tank that we noticed, rather that the service is brilliant: orders will be taken in under 2 minutes, your food will be on the table in 5. The third thing you will notice is meat.  Lots and lots of meat.  Roast duck, roast pork, BBQ pork, steamed chicken, roasted chicken... Good Fortune is a meat lovers paradise.  They also do seafood but I kind of overlooked that in my meaty frenzy.  Not that you can't also find one or two good vegetarian dishes on the menu - I usually find it pretty hard to go past their salt and pepper bean curd with lots and lots of green chilli or their gai lan or bok choy with ginger sauce.  But last night I was there for the meat.  I don't know why a good living largely vegetarian eating girl (for the past 7 and a half years at least) such as me occasionally wants to just go crazy with meat but there you go.  Last night it was BBQ pork that I was craving.  Also, once I realised that you can order off the takeaway menu for a dollar or two more and get everything you want (rice, chilli, pickled cabbage, BBQ pork and bok choy) on one plate I was the happiest girl alive.

One of my eternal regrets is that you can't usually order everything you want unless you spend a bomb or share, and that means everyone has to want to share... luckily I got to eat out with my friend whom I shall name my food girlfriend or MFG for short.  MFG likes to share and to eat and has no girlfriend, my girlfriend is far away and thus we are joined as one.  MFG ate a meaty platter off the takeaway menu also - her meatiness was a two meat combination of roast duck and BBQ pork.  Normally I don't rate duck, but I think I've changed my mind.. or should I say Good Fortune changed my mind!  Succulent is a word best left to the likes of Matt Preston but oh my god it was!!!  Tender, succulent... I've turned for duck.  As for my dinner, the rice was fluffy and hot, the pickled cabbage was tart, pickley, the green chilli hot, crisp and doused in soy, the bok choy was tender, maybe a bit oily and the PORK!  The BBQ pork was crisp, sweet and savoury all at the same time - all things good.  Our other two dining partners had a - well I'm guessing now because I was so mesmerised by my food and hunched over my plate - but I think it was a two meat combination with noodle.  Another important point to note, if, like me you are sometimes disinclined to wait, is that Good Fortune do a roaring trade in takeaway (and according to their menu, you're more than welcome to place phone orders).  I saw half a pig disappearing into the back of a ute and heard an order that went BBQ pork and rice thanks, with extra pork... YEAH!  not hold the pork, or I hate pork, but I'll have pork thanks with some extra pork.  That's definitely saying something.

MMMMMM MMMMMM and by the end of dinner my lips were covered in an alluring layer of duck fat.  All the better to eat you with.

Good Fortune Roast Duck House
344 William St Northbridge
9228 3293
www.goodfortuneduckhouse.com.au
Open 10am - 10pm

4 comments:

  1. glad you're back - let me know if you want to go to allegro for pizza and i will join you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do!!!! is it a lunchy type of thing??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog. You have an incredible way with words. check out my blog at www.justalittlebitgorgeous.shutterfly.com

    feedback is most welcome.
    Maggie Plumb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will Mags thanks for reading my blog :-)) X

    ReplyDelete