About Me

My photo
Perth/Darwin, WA/NT, Australia
I love food. Consistently and with devotion. I also love my family, my surfboard and coffee.

03 August 2010

Royal flush?

I've eaten 2 meals at the Queens in the past 3 days - if you were with me and noticed me lingering over the menu it was because I was scanning it for something, ANYTHING that was edible and wasn't turkish bread with a trio of dips or potato wedges, two of the most uninspiring menu items to ever (dis)grace a menu:

1) A steak sandwich.  One would think relatively inoffensive and hard to fuck up.  The descriptor of 'onion jam' even made me mildly excited.  Sadly, so much onion jam had been slapped onto it that I couldn't taste anything else and it made the sanger so slimy that everything fell out.  All over me.  Not that good. And how hard is it to get chips that wrong!!!!  So wrong - yellow and waxy and tasting of oil... bleugh.

2) A BLT. It was ok.  The bacon was crispy, it was was pretty tasty, it had tomato and it had lettuce.  They should totally get rid of the turkish bread though... it's so early noughties!!  But the chips - wrong again.

The thing that the Queens has going for it is a glorious beer garden.  Oh and nice beer. But stay away from the lunch and dinner food cos it's trading on a time when its food was good, when not everyone offered turkish bread, wedges and some kind of shitty pasta.  But that time is OVER!!!  But if you're drunk and can't leave the premises, can I suggest that you sit back down, relaaaax and eat a refreshing trio of dips?

To end on a positive note though:  As I was flicking through the breakfast menu in despair I noticed coco pops with cream and strawberries.  Even I'd go back to have a go of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment