About Me

My photo
Perth/Darwin, WA/NT, Australia
I love food. Consistently and with devotion. I also love my family, my surfboard and coffee.

26 March 2009

karen's kitchen

I've been avoiding Karen's Kitchen for a while now, mostly cos it got really same same - the same boring sandwiches, the same boring salads. And my biggest gripe was that they never ever had eggs! On Tuesday, I ended up there cos Energy to Go on Mitchell St kept me waiting to be served for 5 minutes in a line with about 10 poor other fuckers and we didn't even get the common greeting of overstressed overworked lunch workers everywhere of "how you going, sorry to keep you waiting, be with you in a minute" and i fucked off. As i had promised Director Chick a sandwich, i was looking for a sandwich bar - so popped into Ks Kitchen on a whim... and LO! and BEHOLD! Fresh sandwiches! Home made lasagne! DIFFERENT SALADS (changing daily i noted)! Inviting interior (as opposed to the bare minimum being on display it looked as if there was lots and lots to eat)! Strategically placed fruit and veges for decoration! Got my sandwich (cheese, tomato and egg on multigrain that DC declared very yummy and she can be pretty fussy) and a salad for me (they had 3 or 4 housemade salads on display) - they're happy to let you have one big salad or two or 3 mixed up. The first day I had a barley salad with fresh veges and parsley and a roasted pumpkin, beetroot, fetta and spinach salad with a boiled egg. Dressing (accomodating or what) on the side. The next day I went back wondering if it had been a flash in the pan? No! Different salads, yummier again - i noticed some strategic recycling of Tuesdays salads - the barley salad had felafels added to it and some fresh parsley and more veges it seemed and the pumpkin etc salad made a reappearance with lamb koftas and couscous! Thursday ( i like to push these things) i didn't like the look of any of the house-made salads, so they were very accomodating and let me make up my own salad and when it came it was delicious. Lamb koftas for the second day running! Who said salad had to be boring!

Karen's Kitchen - next to Go Sushi Train in the mall just after the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Open for lunch. Ooh and they do catering.

No comments:

Post a Comment